About the Parish
ABOUT THE PARISH
We, the community of St. Margaret Mary Parish, welcome the challenges of the future, recognizing that change calls forth our faith providing opportunity for spiritual growth.
We envision ourselves as a faith community characterized by diversity:
Striving for the spiritual vitality of a faith-filled people;
Encouraging and nurturing broad-based shared leadership, calling on each member to exercise stewardship of prayer, ministry and finance;
Committing to education for all ages, instilling religious values, providing moral standards and encouraging global awareness; and
Collaborating with other communities in our efforts to evangelize and work for social justice.
St. Margaret Mary Parish Community is committed to developing and sustaining an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ and proclaiming the reign of God.
Our parish, which was established by Archbishop Albert G. Meyer on May 23, 1955, was named after St. Margaret Mary Alocoque. Margaret Mary lived from 1647-1690. At age 25, she became a member of the Visitation Sisters in Paray-le-Monial, France. During her life she experienced four visions of Jesus Christ. Because of these visions, she worked endlessly to spread devotion to His Sacred Heart – the symbol of His boundless love for His people. St. Margaret Mary was canonized in 1920; her feast day is celebrated on October 16.
The parish began under the able leadership of Father Raymond Vint, who was appointed its first pastor on June 1, 1955. Nearby Divine Savior High School served as a temporary place of worship until the first church was completed in April 1957. The rectory was built in 1958; and soon after, in September 1959, St. Margaret Mary school opened for grades one through five. In its first year, the school was staffed by three Sisters of St. Agnes from Fond du Lac and thirteen lay teachers. By the fall of 1962, the school included all eight grades. In that same year, the convent was completed to house the increased number of Sisters teaching in our school.
On June 17, 1977, the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the first Mass was celebrated in our present church. The former church was soon converted into a gymnasium and was named after Fr. Vint. In 1992 the convent was converted to a Parish Center, housing some meeting rooms and offices for many of the pastoral staff. It was named after Sr. Maureen Courtney, who was the first woman from the parish to enter a religious community, and was martyred while on her missionary assignment in Nicaragua on January 1, 1990.
Since Father Vint’s retirement in January 1982, there have been only three other pastors at St. Margaret Mary – Father Robert Sampon (1982-1994), Father Ralph Gross (1994-2006), and Father Vince Kobida (2006-2012). Fr. Michael Lightner arrived in 2012 and currently serves as the Parish Administrator. During Father Ralph’s tenure, the church was beautifully renovated (2002) and the parish celebrated its 50th Anniversary (2005). As part of that celebration, on the feast day of St. Margaret Mary, the church hall was named for Father Sampon in recognition of his dedicated service to the parish. Fr. Michael Lightner departed June, 2017 and currently Fr. Mike Barrett is serving as the Interim Pastor.